Monday, May 01, 2006

My Muse Just Wants To Have Fun

My muse came back. But it won't concentrate on my NaNo novel. You know, the one I want to get published. Nope, my muse leaves every time I look at that book. Instead, I've started a random book project that will probably end up being a novella of sorts. I guess my muse just needs a break from the difficult stuff. Of course, it had a break while my computer was waiting to get fixed those two times that it threw fits.

This new book idea that just popped into my head isn't so bad, however. It could end up being rather fun when it's all finished. It's kind of an experiment based on something that Steven King wrote in his book On Writing. He suggested taking a few unrelated events or ideas and working them together to make a story. Then write the story, no matter how bad the idea and see what comes of it. So, that's what I'm doing. Here are the unrelated ideas:

1) I've always wanted to have the protagonist in one of my books be a heroine instead of a hero, I tend to come up with a lot of stories about males, I don't know why. 2) I re-watched the episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation where Q loses all his powers, recently. 3) I've wanted to write a story where the main character deals with life in a more realistic way instead of it being a fantasy story, but everything I write has an element of the fantastical. I also have wanted to write something without a political vein in it and this time I may have succeeded in finding such a story. 4) My memory was jogged about that book The Boggart by Susan Cooper recently.

What does all this make? Hmm, perhaps it's my Mouse Soup of stories, but it's fun for right now. I intend to place no expectations on this story idea and see what comes of it. After that, I hope my muse is up to the more important work again.

No comments: