Sunday, January 01, 2006

Announcing For 2005

I have decided that every year on New Year's Day I will give out a very important award. This award is called "The Neville Chamberlain Award." It goes to the person(s) who has committed the most spineless act of appeasement during the past year. I have asked my holiday monkey, Neville, to give out the award and he has agreed to a lifelong contract so long as he gets his photo online. Here he is then, to present the award.

What, you may ask, does the recipient of this award get out of all this? Since most recipients will probably never know they received the award they will get nothing. Those who do know receive the knowledge that at least my respect for them has lessened.

I know, I'm doing that thing like on the Oscars where they make you sit there and stew until you want to hit someone because they won't tell you who got the stupid award. Okay, okay. Here goes.

The 2005 "Neville Chamberlain Award" goes to President George W. Bush for the nomination of Harriet Miers as a Supreme Court Justice. After conservatives, like myself, had waited for long agonizing years to get someone with a record of the right opinions into the court, Bush decided to appease Dems and his opponents by nominating someone who had no Constitutional law experience.

Now, I must make it clear that this award only goes to "acts of appeasement," and not to thoughts of "acts of appeasement." For example, Bush did nominate Miers; Dems talked about pulling out of the war and thought about it, but they did not actually accomplish that thought. Thus they don't get the award.

I have been very bad this year and have not kept up on the news properly. For all I know there may have been a more spineless act of appeasement than the one I have awarded. That doesn't matter so don't tell me about it. This is my award based on my opinion and I'll come up with it on my own. I would add that the 2004 award was never announced. Thus I should tell you that it went to the people of Spain for voting out Prime Minister Aznar in response to the Madrid terrorist attacks.

Have a Happy New Year.

1 comment:

Erin said...

I love it, Esther! Although, I hope to never recieve the award myself. Glad to hear you made it back safe and sound from Utah! :)