Saturday, February 12, 2005

Michaelangelo's Failure

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the stunning color and powerful form of Michaelangelo's art. His sculptures are beyond compare, and his painting is perhaps the most striking I have ever seen. That is, until he attempted to sculpt and paint women! That man never looked at a woman. And his mother must have been an incredibly ugly ogre. In every painting and on every sculpture of a female the breasts look like halves of cantalopes or grapefruits stuck on their chest. And the muscles! It's like Hercules wearing a very stiff coconut bra. Michaelangelo's brilliance was without question until he tried to replicate the female form in his art.

Anyway, now I'm gonna have a bunch of weirdos coming to my blog because they put interesting words into a search engine.

I am an aspiring sculptor, I try very hard to make things look right. They tell me to "study the masters," and the greatest sculptor who ever lived could only sculpt men.

Reading and writing tasks await me in plenty. I have obviously not checked the news today.

1 comment:

Erin said...

As an art major, I will have to agree with you entirely... I don't think any of the Italian masters had women down very well. Maybe we are just much too stuning to perfectly capture.