Saturday, July 16, 2005

At Random

Foley wrote this so I am posting this description of me to my blog, so here goes:

Esther
1. Well, I like everything about you, but I'd have to say your consideration for others is at the top!
2. 7:50 am because that's about when you had to take a shower in the morning and I had to try to be out by then.
3. Hmm, only one? Faithful
4. Oh, man, we've had a lot of memorable momments. Let's see, the Mickey Dance is at the top, but I think the best was after we both went to bed, but we'd talk for hours and then get upset because we had to get up early for class.
5. Blue, definitely. One because of your eyes, two because you just look stunning in it!
6. I've always wondered if you had grown up with lots of money would you still be so practical with it?
7. Put this in your blog!

It answers the following questions:

1. If I were to apply an o'clock to you, I'll tell you what it would be.
2. I will try to name a single word that best describes you.
3. I'll tell you the most memorable moment I've had with you.
4. I will tell you what color you remind me of.
5. I'll then tell you something that I've always wondered about you.

Other news. Yesterday I watched "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory". If you know me in real life than you probably know that I have anticipated the arrival of this movie to the big screen. In fact, if you know me well enough you know that I anticipated it so much I thought it came out 17 days before it actually did appear in theatres. I was stunned watching this movie. It was not at all what I had expected.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory outdid any imaginations I had about it. It was better than I thought it would be. I have heard so many people whine and say things like, "Johnny Depp would never make a good Willie Wonka," and "How can you replace Gene Wilder?" I completely understand this viewpoint, after all, most remakes suck. But this one was better than the original.

Chances are, if you have read some reviews, or if you have watched some previews you're thinking "Johnny Deep was trying to act like Michael Jackson!" Yes, even Roger Ebert agrees with this diagnosis. Okay, so let's put this in perspective. Roald Dahl wrote a story about a kid named Charlie who goes to a chocolate factory that is owned by a reclusive man in a tall hat. His wardrobe in the book is similar to that in the movie. He is an adult who has created a giant, dreamlike palace of candy and lives there alone. Hmm, does this sound like Michael Jackson? Yes. Except for the candy part. How is it not supposed to sound like Michael Jackson? The only way for that to happen would be if you made Willie Wonka into a muscular or tubby African-American man with a beard. From my own perspective, I did not think Johnny Depp's Willie Wonka was creepy at all. I thought he was hilarious. I thought he was a great overgrown child whose father did not allow him to eat candy when he was a kid. He did not remind me of Michael Jackson in the slightest and his responses to those around him were much like a child who does not know how to act would respond.

On a side note I really liked the flashbacks that Willie Wonka had into his own childhood. I cannot imagine someone putting headgear like that on a kid. It was hilarious, and you could feel his painful embarrassment just watching him.

The acting all around was amazing. The kid who played Charlie did a remarkable job. All the kids were good. And I thought the punishments that the monstrous children went through were less creepily done than in the older version of this movie. The Oompa-Loompas were hysterical. Their musical numbers cut the place up, and Willie Wonka's response to their singing was great. He'd start dancing a little and whatever parent whose child just arrived at a tragic moment would just glare fireballs at him. It was so funny.

The visual effects were amazing. That room with all the candy just made you wish you were there eating and enjoying to your heart's content. The little suits that the Oompa Loompa's wore were so cute. And the Oompa Loompa's were NOT orange! That made me happy. Also that one part where they travel on the barge through the tunnel did not nauseate me. In the Gene Wilder movie, that was really creepy.

One other thing that I liked better than the older version was the pace. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory moves a little faster. I think I could watch it over several times and not get bored, whereas if I watch the old one more than twice a year I am bored out of my mind by it. All in all, "Charlie" kept the charm of "Willie Wonka," while adding some things that made it a better movie.

I recommend this movie. Unless you really hate Tim Burton (it is Tim Burton at his very best, and who else could do dark, slightly morbid Roald Dahl so well?), go watch it.

No comments: