Thursday, July 21, 2005

I Hate Interviews!

So, my interview was this morning. It took a long time to drive up there. Finding a parking place in the overcrowded visitors ramp was quite a feat. But at least I did not have to pay. I only found the parking garage because I accidentally ended up in the left turn lane on a one way street and had to go around the block. The entrance to the garage was down a street I had passed by. Furthermore, the parking garage did not even look like a parking garage except on the side with the entrance. So I guess you could say that God was watching out for me.

Finding the right room in the building was interesting. I have been in some screwed up buildings before, but never as bad as this one. I finally found room W072 between room W046 and W032! And I was still two minutes early! Yay! Good first impression for being early.

The interview started well. Being both Hillsdale alums we had lots to talk about. Toward the middle he asked me a question which I did not understand and could not answer. It was a stupid question anyway. Did I ever mention that I hate interviews. So then I had to do a writing sample to prove that I can write business-y emails and stuff. I think those turned out great. If they go by my paper trail they will have every reason in the world to hire me. But I was a little disoriented in the interview and I knew it.

I know that I am somewhat reserved when I first meet someone. Many people call this "shy" or "timid," but I maintain it is RESERVED. I choose not to be over exuberant. I choose to figure people out before I completely open up to them. I choose to be a little hesitant at moments. And I choose to mess up and destroy every interview I have to face! I hate interviews.

I am just praying that they are desperate enough to hire me. My past work experience is good and it shows me to be a responsible person willing to do tons of work all the time. I can deal with people, I can deal with research and I can make decisions. That is all they need.

And I could not answer that one stupid question . . .

In the end, God is still in control. If He wants me in this job, He will put me there, whether I make a few initial mistakes or not.

4 comments:

Erin said...

Well, I hope it all works out. And you are reserved not shy and timid. I learned this from living with you. There is nothing shy about you and you are definitly not intimidated by people, but you do come off as such at first and I do think it is your RESERVED nature. Seriously, I agree with you completely. Heck, you handle DC with less timidness than I ever would and I'm me!

Xana Ender said...

Now I'm really curious about what the question was.

Xana Ender said...

Mr & Mrs Smith style interviewing perhaps?
Q: How many times in the past week have you had sex?

A: I don't understand the question.

Esther said...

LOL! The question was phrased thus: "Give an example of a time when you had to make a decision about your workproduct." And it made no sense at the time. The interviewer had been up for two days straight so he had a hard time rephrasing. I think that all he meant was "have you ever had to evaluate your own work?" But he could not just say that!